[PHP3] Re: [GENERAL] Re: [PHP3] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison

От Paul DuBois
Тема [PHP3] Re: [GENERAL] Re: [PHP3] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison
Дата
[PHP3] Re: [GENERAL] Re: [PHP3] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison  (Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
At 10:30 PM -0400 10/3/99, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>  What do/are the MySQL folks using for test data?  maybe start off with
>>  what they are using to time MySQL and then look at how PostgreSQL can do
>>  it, maybe differently?
>>
>>  Is there somewhere where the MySQL benchmarks can be downloaded from,
>>  including teh data?
>>

>Let me address my recollection of that discussion.  The basic issue is
>that MySQL is somewhat faster because they don't have any
>transactions/rollback capability, no user-defined types, and are SQL
>built on top of an ISAM-type file with the indexes inbedded in the file,
>so to add an index requires rebuilding the table.
>
>Second, the MySQL folks don't mention the features they _don't_ have,
>except now they mention they don't have transactions.

Uh ... what?  Chapter 5 of the MySQL manual goes into the missing
functionality in some detail.  I have never gotten the impression that
they're trying to hide what isn't present.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@snake.net